If you’re looking for a quick and creative way to put dinner on the table tonight, try this yummy Thai Flatbread. This is exotic dish is not your typical pizza.
Start with a flatbread base, such as pita or Naan, roast the chickpeas, prepare the peanut sauce, and prep the fresh veggies. Then assemble, bake, and you’re ready to eat in no time!
This Thai Flatbread is vegetarian with the right balance of macronutrients: protein, carbs, and fats. The vegetables used are non-starchy and pack a ton of fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals to aid in digestion and stabilize blood sugar.
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- ¼ tbsp olive oil
- 1 c chickpeas
- 2/3 c frozen edamame
- ½ c shredded red cabbage
- ½ c shredded carrots
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ c scallions
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then pat dry. Spray lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through, until crispy. Keep the oven on for the pizza. Shred the cabbage and the carrots, chop the scallions, and let the edamame thaw.
- Make the peanut sauce by whisking the peanut butter, agave, soy sauce, vinegar, and chili pepper flakes together. Spoon the sauce over the pita bread.
- Top the pita bread with roasted chickpeas, shredded cabbage and carrots, and edamame. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes or until the edges of the pita bread begin to crisp. Top with scallions and sriracha.
- Calories – 490 Calories
- Protein – 23 grams
- Carbohydrates – 64 grams
- Fat – 19 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (20% protein, 50% carbs and 30% fat)