Have you ever found yourself with leftover sweet potatoes at the end of the week and wondered what to do with them? Try whipping up this Sweet Potato Hash Scramble for breakfast!
Start by rendering down the vegetarian Italian sausage by Field Roast© and chopping up your vegetables. After taking the cooked sausage out of the pan, sauté the onion, bell pepper and sweet potato cubes, adding a touch of water to steam the sweet potatoes and then fold in the mushrooms for the last few minutes until the vegetables breakdown into a hash.
Move the hash aside to create a well and then add the whisked eggs to scramble, breaking them down into the hash. At the end, add back the cooked sausage and fresh spinach to wilt.
This sweet potato hash scramble is both comforting and healthy and is best enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee or tea. You’ll definitely want to wake up to this one!
Sweet Potato Hash Scramble
- 1 ¾ vegetarian Italian sausage by Field Roast
- 1 c yellow onion
- 1 c red bell pepper
- 1 c mushrooms
- 1 ½ c sweet potatoes
- 2 c baby spinach
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c 2% milk
- ¼ tbsp olive oil
- Take the vegan sausage out of the casing and sauté in a pan over medium heat for 3 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil, breaking the sausage down with a spatula. When brown, take the sausage out of the pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Chop up the vegetables and whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Begin with sautéing the onion, green bell pepper and sweet potatoes over medium heat with a sprinkle of salt and pepper for 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. You may need to add small amounts of water to steam and help the cooking process. Then add in the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side and create a well in the middle of the pan. Drizzle in a little olive oil and pour in the whisked eggs.
- Once the eggs start to firm up on the sides, turn the eggs to scramble in the pan. Add the cooked sausage and spinach then cook for 1 minute until the spinach wilts slightly.
- Calories – 513 Calories
- Protein – 30 grams
- Carbohydrates – 50 grams
- Fat – 16 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (31% protein, 40% carbs and 29% fat)