Do you seem to always have extra, unused veggies at the end of the week? An extra onion, bell pepper and sweet potato that you couldn’t get to this week? Don’t throw them out!
Whip them up into a delicious breakfast like this Sweet Potato Hash Bowl.
We like to start by rendering down our favorite vegan sausage, Italian Sausage by Field Roast © (available at Whole Foods or on Amazon). Then sauté the vegetable and sweet potato medley, adding small amounts of water to steam and cook the potatoes.
Finish by sauteing some tofu into a scramble and add back the cooked vegan sausage and some spinach for a fresh green bite. Who knew breakfast was another perfect opportunity to get in those veggies!
Sweet Potato Hash Bowl
- 1 ½ links vegan Italian sausage by Field Roast ©
- 6 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 ½ c yellow onion
- 1 ½ c red bell pepper
- 1 ½ c mushrooms
- 1 ½ c sweet potatoes
- 3 c baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Take the vegan sausage out of the casing and sauté in a pan over medium heat for 3 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil, breaking the sausage down with a spatula. When brown, take the sausage out of the pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Chop up the vegetables and drain and press the water out of the tofu and cut into cubes.
- Begin sautéing the onion, red bell pepper and sweet potatoes over medium heat with a sprinkle of salt and pepper for 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. You may need to add small amounts of water to steam and help the cooking process. Then add in the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side and create a well in the middle of the pan. Drizzle in a little olive oil and sauté the tofu with a sprinkle of salt and pepper for 5 minutes.
- When the tofu is browned, combine with the vegetables and then add the cooked vegan sausage back into the pan and the spinach and sauté for another few minutes until the spinach wilts before serving.
- Calories – 507 Calories
- Protein – 34 grams
- Carbohydrates – 55 grams
- Fat – 17 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (27% protein, 43% carbs and 30% fat)