Take a trip to the Mediterranean and try this Greek and Italian-inspired Lemon & Almond Crusted Cod with Beans and Wilted Greens.
Start by seasoning the cod filets with salt and pepper and pan-fry with a good drizzle of olive oil for 4 minutes per side, until the filets have a nice sear.
Next, prepare the crunchy topping that will float on top of the fish by toasting the almonds, panko, and lemon zest with a sprinkle of salt for a minute until golden. Sauté the cherry tomatoes and garlic with thyme, salt, and pepper until the tomatoes are blistered, removing from the heat before they pop.
Layer in the cannellini beans and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for a few minutes before adding in the greens to wilt at the end. Serve in shallow bowls with a base of the beans, greens, and broth, placing the cod filets on top and sprinkling over the lemon and almond crust.
Soak in the sun-kissed flavors of the Mediterranean with this light, yet sophisticated Lemon & Almond Crusted Cod.
Lemon & Almond Crusted Cod with Beans and Wilted Greens
- 14 oz cod fillets
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 2 c cannellini beans
- ½ c vegetable stock
- 1 c arugula
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Season the cod filets with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, zest and juice the lemon, and drain/rinse the cannellini beans.
- Pan-fry the fish with a drizzle of olive oil for 4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add the slivered almonds, panko, and lemon zest to the pan with a sprinkle of salt and toast for 1 minute, being careful not to burn, then set aside. This is the toasted crust topping for the fish.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes, garlic, and thyme with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and sauté for 4 minutes, until the tomatoes are blistered, removing from the heat before they pop.
- Add the beans and vegetable stock with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. At the end, add the arugula, turn off the heat and let the arugula wilt slightly.
- When you’re ready to eat, plate the fish on top of the beans and vegetables in a shallow bowl and sprinkle over the toasted lemon and almond topping.
- Calories – 515 Calories
- Protein – 50 grams
- Carbohydrates – 46 grams
- Fat – 13 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (40% protein, 37% carbs and 23% fat)