Bowls are the perfect way to mash up fresh and fiery ingredients like in this Korean Tempeh Bowl.
Begin assembling the ingredients by crumbling and sautéing the tempeh with garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Then whisk together the rice vinegar and agave and pour over the tempeh to soak in for the last few minutes.
While the tempeh is marinating, chop and prep the cucumbers and carrots and put on a fresh pot of rice.
When you’re ready to eat, assemble the bowl with a scoop of rice followed by a layer of spicy tempeh and top with the fresh cucumbers, carrots, scallions, and sesame seeds.
If you’re still looking for some more heat, drizzle on some sriracha and enjoy the hot and cool elements this Korean tempeh bowl has to offer!
Korean Tempeh Bowl
- 10 oz tempeh
- 1 c cucumber
- 1 c carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1/3 c jasmine rice
- ½ c scallions
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ tbsp olive oil
- Crumble and sauté the tempeh in a pan over medium heat with the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil for 10 minutes. Whisk together the rice vinegar and agave and pour over the tempeh and let simmer for 5 minutes to soak in.
- Chop and prep the cucumbers and carrots. Cook the rice by bringing the rice, a 2:1 ratio of water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Turn down to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- When you’re ready to eat, plate the meal in bowls with a base of rice then top with the sautéed tempeh, fresh cucumber and carrots and finish with the scallions and sesame seeds. If you are looking for more heat, drizzle over some sriracha.
- Calories – 507 Calories
- Protein – 31 grams
- Carbohydrates – 68 grams
- Fat – 12 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (25% protein, 50% carbs and 25% fat)