Fresh, crunchy, and bright greens bring out the best in many dishes, and our Garlic Bok Choy with Tofu is a perfect example! Tender bok choy takes center stage on the plate with support from a savory slice of tofu.
Start by draining, slicing, and baking the tofu in a hoisin sauce to seal in the savory flavors. Then pan sear and steam the bok choy with the shallots, garlic, ginger, and red pepper for a few minutes, being careful not to overcook or wilt the greens.
While hot but still crunchy and bright, plate the bok choy with the hoisin flavored tofu, a scoop of jasmine rice, and some green onion for extra crunch. You’ll be amazed at the power fresh, warm greens can deliver to your weeknight dinner.
Garlic Bok Choy with Tofu
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 c shallots
- 4 c bok choy
- 1/3 c hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic
- ½ tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 c vegetable stock
- ¼ c jasmine rice
- ¼ c scallions
- 2 limes
- ¼ tbsp olive oil
- Drain and press the water out of the tofu and slice into small triangles.
- Prep the vegetables by dicing the shallot and quartering the bok choy. Cook the rice by bringing the rice, a 2:1 ratio of water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Turn down to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix the hoisin sauce, olive oil, half of the garlic and ginger, and the zest and juice of a full lime in a mixing bowl. Arrange the tofu on a foiled lined baking sheet with a little olive and sprinkle of salt and pepper, then evenly pour over the marinade and bake in a 400-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Sauté the other half of the garlic and ginger over medium heat with a little olive oil, being careful not to burn it. Then add the shallots, bok choy, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Add small amounts of vegetable stock to steam the bok choy. Cook until the bok choy has been steamed but is still crunchy.
- Plate the tofu, bok choy, and rice and top with the green onion and fresh lime.
- Calories – 520 Calories
- Protein – 34 grams
- Carbohydrates – 66 grams
- Fat – 15 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (25% protein, 48% carbs, and 27% fat)