We’re mashing up flavors today and combining BBQ with Hawaiian in a taco with these BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Hawaiian Slaw!
Start off by slicing the tempeh into bite-sized strips, then bake them in a 400-degree oven with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
While the tempeh is baking, prep the Hawaiian Slaw by adding chopped red bell pepper and pineapple to the slaw mix and toss with fresh lime juice and olive oil. Then, whisk up the homemade BBQ sauce by combining tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
When you’re ready to eat, warm up the corn tortillas and assemble the tacos with a base of the slaw, followed by the strips of baked tempeh and a drizzle of the homemade BBQ sauce.
Top with scallions and fresh cilantro and enjoy this melody of flavors with a fun tropical flair!
BBQ Tempeh Tacos
- 10 oz tempeh
- ½ c red bell pepper
- 2 c slaw mix
- ¼ c chopped pineapple
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tbsp garlic powder
- 4 corn tortillas
- ¼ c scallions
- ¼ c cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Slice the tempeh and season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and place on a foil lined sheet pan with a spray or wipe of olive oil. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 15 minutes. If you would like, crank up the broiler for a few minutes at the end to crisp up the tempeh.
- While the tempeh is cooking, chop and prep the red bell pepper and combine with the slaw mix and pineapple in a bowl with salt and pepper, a squeeze of fresh lime and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Next, make the BBQ sauce by combining the tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. If needed, add some water to thin out the BBQ sauce.
- Warm the corn tortillas.
- Plate the tacos with a base of the slaw, followed by a layer of the tempeh slices, a drizzle of the BBQ sauce and top with the scallions and cilantro.
- Calories – 500 Calories
- Protein – 32 grams
- Carbohydrates – 63 grams
- Fat – 13 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (25% protein, 50% carbs and 25% fat)