Enjoy the savory lusciousness of BBQ through a vegan lens with this BBQ Seitan Sandwich.
Begin by chopping the red onion, broccoli, and sweet potatoes to roast on a sheet pan with a sprinkle of rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper. While the vegetables are roasting, crumble up the seitan and sauté with fresh garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.
As the seitan is sauteing, whip up a delicious and easy BBQ sauce by combining the tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add a touch of water to thin out the sauce if needed.
When it’s ready, pour the BBQ sauce over the sautéed seitan, allowing the sauce to warm and stick to the seitan in the pan.
Finally, build your BBQ seitan sandwich with a layer of the BBQ seitan topped with the slaw and serve with the roasted vegetables. Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand for this messy but delicious meal!
BBQ Seitan Sandwich
- 8 oz seitan
- 1/3 c red onion
- ½ c broccoli
- ½ c sweet potatoes
- ½ c slaw salad mix
- ½ c tomato paste
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 3 tbsp avocado
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Chop and prep the red onion, broccoli and sweet potato and arrange on a foil lined sheet pan with the dried rosemary, paprika, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Chop and crumble the seitan and sauté over medium heat with the garlic, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and drizzle of olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Next, make the BBQ sauce by combining the tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, chili powder and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. If needed add some water to thin out the BBQ sauce. After the seitan is browned up, pour over the BBQ sauce and simmer on low for a few minutes to heat up the sauce.
- Toss the slaw mix with a little apple cider vinegar, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Toast the multigrain bread.
- Build the sandwiches with a spoonful of the BBQ seitan layered on a slice of multigrain bread, then top the with slaw and sliced avocado. Serve with the roasted vegetables.
- Calories – 509 Calories
- Protein – 34 grams
- Carbohydrates – 64 grams
- Fat – 15 grams
- Nutrition Note – this meal was specifically designed and developed to promote a healthy weight with balanced macronutrients (26% protein, 49% carbs and 25% fat)